If you use iTunes to organize your media, you’ve probably run into the roadblock of adding files it doesn’t support. In such a case, this article will list out the best video format (also audio format) for iTunes and give you some tips on playing video in iTunes. (Learn how to Make iTunes for Windows Launch and Run Faster)
iTunes Supported Video Format/Audio Format
According to Apple, iTunes supports any video format that works with QuickTime and files purchased or downloaded from iTunes store.
Best Video Format for iTunes: MP4, MOV, M4V
- MP4 (A digital multimedia format most commonly used to store video and audio, subtitles and still images.) is actually a standard that Apple really pushed with iTunes. So, generally speaking, you can play .mp4 format movie in iTunes. Attention shall be paid .mp4 video has its codec limitations that .mp4 video encoded as 540 kbit/s with H.264 and an approximately 128 kbit/s AAC audio track is regarded as the best video format for iTunes. And, .mp4 video encoded with other codec and sample rate will meet waterloo but nothing in iTunes.
- MOV (A filename extension for the QuickTime multimedia file format) uses a proprietary compression algorithm developed by Apple Computer, which is the standard and best video format for QuickTime. It is well-known with its unbeatable high quality so that it’s warmly-received by masses of iTunes users.
- M4V (A video container format developed by Apple and is very similar to the MP4 format.) is widely utilized to encode video files, such as TV episodes, movies, and music videos, in iTunes Store. In general, the copyright of M4V files may be protected by using Apple’s FairPlay DRM copy protection.
Best Audio Format for iTunes: MP3, AIFF, WAV, AAC, Apple Lossless (.m4a)
1. Play other video and audio formats in iTunes
If the video you want to sync to iTunes is not in the compatible video format list, you will need to take time to convert the unsupported video files into iTunes avaliable video via a professional video converter program. For video addicts who have a wholesome of video clips, recordings, TV shows, etc saved in different formats but want to sync to Apple devices, Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate will do you a favor, changing any unsupported video file into the best iTunes video file format with one click losing no quality.
2. Play DVD movies in iTunes
For those who wanna rip any DVDs (including Music DVD, Family Movie and Disney encrypted DVD like Frozen, Monsters University and Oz The Great and Powerful) to iTunes for playing on idevices, here recommends you- Pavtube DVDAid which I have only had it for a week or so but love it! It works well and very easily as the coolest tool to convert your DVD to iTunes 12/11 playable video formats with perfect video quality.
3. Play iTunes purchased video/music on non-Apple product
Apple uses the M4V files to encode TV episodes, movies, and music videos in the iTunes Store. The copyright of M4V files may be protected by using Apple’s FairPlay DRM copyright protection. With a versatile iTunes DRM Recorder tool, you can easily remove DRM protection and also recorder M4V video to most compatible format on Windows/Android Tablets & Phones or non-iPod player like Archos, Android phone, Zune, PSP, etc. After recording, the output quality is still as vivid as original.
What’s more, ripping Blu-ray to iTunes for importing is also not a big deal.