Apple TV is a network device that allows consumers to use an HDTV set to view photos, play music and watch video that originates from an Internet media service or a local network. Thus, if you have been one of the Apple TV users, you can get endless entertainment with your Apple TV, Apple TV 2 or Apple TV 3.
Before streaming all of our favorite movies and TV shows live or on demand to Apple TV, you would be eager to know what video and audio formats can Apple TV play?
Here we list the Apple TV supported file types according to our multiple-testing result.
Supported Video Formats
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Supported Audio Formats
- AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
- Protected AAC (from iTunes Store)
- MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps)
- MP3 VBR
- Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4)
- Apple Lossless
- Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
Other Video and Audio Options
If the video/movie files you want to view are in a format that is not supported by the Apple TV system, you may be able to convert them into a compatible format with Video Converter Ultimate.
To watch your movies and TV shows on Apple TV freely, you can refer to the video playbacks tips below.
Tip 1: Play videos, TV shows on Apple TV
To play videos like MKV, VOB, AVI, FLV, MTS, M2TS, MOV, MPEG, TV shows TiVo on Apple TV, you can get the best Apple TV Video Converter above to change the video format to get rid of the video format limit problem.
Tip 2: Get DVD movies on Apple TV
To watch DVD movies on Apple TV, you need to rip and convert DVD to Apple TV playable format (eg.mp4) first for watching with the perfect output quality.
Tip 3: Put Blu-ray movies onto Apple TV
If you are wondering how to put Blu-ray movies onto your Apple TV, please refer this guide to reformat and compress Blu-ray movies to a Apple TV friendly format e.g. .mp4. Then, you are able to have great movie enjoyment on a big screen HDTV.
So have you decided to join as a Apple TV user, or alread have an Apple TV/Apple TV 2/Apple TV? Hope the Apple TV tips and tricks can be useful to you!